Forums

Forum Home > Community Gardens & Allotments > Hither Green Community Garden- Update.

Lewisham Gardens
Site Owner

The 225 Bus Stop Community Garden- Springbank Road, Hither Green. Photo(c) HGCA

Had a great 4 hours volunteering at the Hither Green Community Garden and Station Embankment on Saturday. Gorgeous weather. Fantastic turn out- over 20 people. 

• Cut back lots of last years herbaceous growth to make room for the new shoots coming through now.
  • Lots of dead stuff for the new compost bags Josie Foster brought along.
  • Moved some of the invasive cranesbill geraniums and distributed them to some barer patches in other parts of the garden.
  • Heavily pruned the dogwood.

The biggest issue remains dog mess. Why are people so gross? Why dont they pick up after their animals. anyway, the hope if one all the ground cover has established, owners will be less inclined to allow their dogs to foul the place.

Took along some climbers for the fence- passion flower, honey suckle and jasmine. Also gave away some of the soft ect garlic I plnted rather late in December. I am completely over whelmed with garlic now! Garlic, cavelo nero and a few herbs are the only edibles in my garden at the moment. Meet lovely new people and got hugs from friends too. Yay!

Photo- sticky cleavers- invasive weeds.

Two Lewisham Councillors- Stella Jeffrey and Damien Egan were part of the HG Station embankent crew. They got SO much work done. They established two new compost heaps, filling them with the cleavers and many other weeds covering the hyacinths and tulips planted last autumn. There is talk of finding funding to get a secure lock box for the boots, wheelbarrows and tools- the long walk to platform 5 is exhausting after a morning's gardening.

Photos from Saturday to come...!

Click for HGCA site

--

March 26, 2012 at 5:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Goldsmiths Community Garden

Thank you for identifying sticky cleavers for me - it appeared in my garden only recently and seems very happy there. Needless to say I'm not and spend ages yanking out armfuls of the stuff!

--

Jane

April 25, 2012 at 5:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lewisham Gardens
Site Owner

Those sticky buggers come in numbers!  And they get so long.

I found one which has climbed almost a metre up a rose!

--

April 27, 2012 at 6:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

I helped my mother-in-law with her very beautiful garden in Tenterden yesterday, and planted her birthday present. In the process I removed three hellebores - I think they are the Balkan variety multifidus with narrow leaves and pale green flowers. They're currently sitting in a bag in my back garden, are they any use for the community garden in Hither Green or would anyone like them? If so I will bring along today.

--

Jane

April 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

--

Jane

April 29, 2012 at 3:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lewisham Gardens
Site Owner

Brilliant photos Jane- I hadnt noticed them before.  

You can see the steeam rising from the manure!

Ive just popped down there to plant out some asters and shasta daisies and th entire area has been swamped with geraniums. 

Its 2 weeks since we were there and its as if all the work we did trying to thin them out hadnt taken place. 

I think we're going to have to remove two thrids of it. It has completely out competed everything else in the garden.

The copost stacks are smaller  and  still intact!

--

May 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Thanks for the compliments :-) They seem to be loving this weather don't they? I have geranium macrorrhizum 'Walter Ingwersen' at home and I have never seen it so large though it's much less of a bully than the bus stop one! You're welcome to some to replace the thug, very pretty in the autumn when it colours up. I'm glad to hear the compost is settling down. I don't need horse manure now (especially not that quantity) I have loads from the chickens!

--

Jane

May 14, 2012 at 3:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chrissie

That is a precious photo  Jane! 

Krumblez, Lewisham Garden member and owner of The CAtford Urban Garden has  taken  some photos of the Hither Green Community Garden! They are very fine photos indeed. 

Click here to see all the photos

--

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.

May 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lewisham Gardens
Site Owner

The garden on Springbank Road is looking great. There has been a huge amount of growth in just 2 months. 

Lots of great reaction to the garden from neighbours on Springbank Road and communiters using the station.

Considering it is a bus stop and completely open to the passing public, there has been remarkably little damage.  Dogs and the occasional drunk falling into the beds see to be the only minor issues. 

Next gardening session: this coming Saturday 11-2pm.  All welcome!

Vist the photo gallery for great new photos

--

July 1, 2012 at 5:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lewisham Gardens
Site Owner

Saturday morning, we got stuck into the overgrown bus stop garden. More passers-by than ever stopped to chat including bus drivers who terminate at the stop before starting their route again. 

The garden growth has been extraordinar; the teasels and hollyhocks are up at seven and eight feet, the violet blue cranesbill geranium is at five feet. 

The achillea is gloriously golden, almost made me wish I allowed yellow in my own garden. Almost. 

We discovered large colnies of snails, and they were quite the biggest, fattest snails Ive seen in the UK. They were clinging to the undersides of the teasel and had quite stripped the valerian of foliage and flowers. Once you delved into the crown of the plant, you realised it was simply teeming with snails.

The rampant white geranium was tamed.  I dont think we'll let it flower as long bext year, but you cant beat it for ground cover. 

Nightingale Grove which has been a blight on the neighbourhood for years since the nursery stopped trading received some TLC. Bizarely, some reidents from the town houses opposite watched from their windows and doorways as the volunteers whose homes dont overlook the site cleared up the area.  Hmmm. 

--

July 8, 2012 at 5:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Prithi

Im still looking for a garden in central Lewisham to volunteer in!! :/

Does anyone know of one?

--

I dont have a signature.

July 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lewisham Gardens
Site Owner

Goldsmiths Community Garden at April 29, 2012 at 3:48 AM

The horse manure rotted down beautifully. It was spread over the site last week. 

The garden currently has a whacking great crane in the middle of it due to flats being built on the old Timberyard site. 

Josie, Ginette and the crew cut back masses of runaway and dying herbaceaous material.  The garden is looking ready for the winter! Next session is at 11am on Sat 10 Nov- htere will be bulb planting. 

--

October 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lewisham Gardens
Site Owner

Message from Josie-  Hither Green Community Association Chair amd Bus Stop Garden co-ordinator.

Dear All,

Just a shorty to thank you so much for giving up the main part of Saturday to do a bit of tidying and gardening with us. All very much appreciated and I have to say the garden does look alot tidier and better - ready for the onslaught of winter. We will have to monitor the rubbish thrown there during these months as the development at the back doesn't give it a very good backdrop and people seem to think that rubbish can be thrown over it. I am very tempted to put large signs up on stakes within the garden saying:

"This is still the Community Garden - please stop throwing your rubbish over it!" or words to that effect.

The embankment is destined to have alot more planted within it and it's all very exciting - I will be writing to Network Rail very shortly to ask their permission to do this. The rubbish thrown there wasn't nearly so bad.

Hope to see you soon.

Remember we are having a little drinks party in the Lower Vestry of St. Swithun's Church on Friday, 14th. December between 7 and 9pm. Do come and join us if you can.

Best wishes and again many thanks, 

Josie, Chair

--

November 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lewisham Gardens
Site Owner

A few of us met up to blitz clean the Springbank Community Garden this morning. There is lots of lovely new growth and it should be looking good for spring , especially after the great piles of compost we spread last autumn.

The Hexagon development behind the garden has really come on. We'll be speaking to the developers about the back wall and fence- it will be nice for the new residents to have a unrestricted view of the wonderful garden.

We wont name and shame the local business who thought the back of our garden was an appropriate place to dump the RUBBLE from their recent renovations, but its being dealt with.

Another big note of concern is dog owners who allow their pets to foul the garden. It's currently an open garden and everyone is welcome to use the space, but please clean up after your dogs- there are doggie bag dispeners hanging from trees at both ends of the garden. Its a common courtesy.

--

March 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lewisham Gardens
Site Owner

--

May 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.