|Goldsmiths Community Garden||
Joined Apr 6 2012
Goldsmiths Community Garden is located on the corner of Boundfield and Castillon Roads in Downham, SE6. It is part of the large grounds that surround the Goldsmiths Community Centre, which opened in 1939 when the northern extension of the Downham estate was built. When it opened it was described as the largest community centre in London. The community centre is the base of the Goldsmiths Gardeners Society, established in 1939, who managed the allotments before the Excalibur prefab estate was built and continue to manage the Crutchley Road allotments. Their first annual fruit and vegetable show was held on August Bank Holiday, 1939
To this day the grounds are enjoyed by centre users, children, families and young people.
The preschool next door to the Community Garden has two chickens and some recently hatched chicks and ducklings, giving it a rural feel. Until a few years ago, the Community Garden was maintained by a group of older people and since then it has fallen into neglect. The garden is south facing, with an original circular brick bed and a raised bed against the centre wall.
From 2009-11 The London Action Trust worked with the Community Association and Forster Park School on the Allotments Learning Project, cultivating a corner of the community centre garden with the help of local families. We hope that the families will continue to maintain the allotment and enjoy the fruits (and veg) of their labour. Limelight Family Learning Centre is now managing the allotment.